Canyon Loop Trail has always been, for me, an underrated hike for the sole reason that husband and I have always disregarded it because of its short distance, preferring to take the route to Romero Pools instead. Well, curiousity finally compelled me to trek the popular 2.5 mile loop. It actually turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
I originally went in search of wildflowers… Mexican Gold Poppies. This is what I saw instead:
Just as I was about to give up and call this wildflower hunt a bust, I noticed a little purple lupine peeking out from off the beaten trail…
I followed this “not” trail (the sign in the back says it’s “NOT” a designated trail…) and it led me to…
…the Holy Golden Grail!
Was the short 2.5 mile loop worth it? Absolutely!
Canyon Loop Trail Overview
- Coordinates: 32.42566,-110.90798
- Fees: $7/vehicle
- Difficulty: Moderately Easy, some elevation gain
- Usage: Heavy
- Length: 2.2 Miles Loop
- Things to note:
- Minimal shade. Bring plenty of water & wear a hat to avoid dehydration.
- Trail is also used for horseback riding.
- This is one of the few trails in Catalina State Park that allows dogs.
- Pets allowed: Yes, on leash.
|How About You?||