For someone who isn't a fan of fresh tomatoes, I sure do like a good Tomato Basil Soup. Most Paleo recipes I've come across are just too... tangy and... tomatoey for my tastes though. My tastes run towards the Tomato Basil soups served at Paradise Bakery / Panera Bread / Beyond Bread. With a little experimentation, I was able to concoct a healthy, Paleo and 21 DSD friendly Creamy Tomato Basil Soup that's really, really good.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (Rapenzul brand is organic & paleo compliant)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2-3 tablespoons raw honey (add 2, do the taste test, and if you feel it needs 1 more tablespooon, go right ahread)
- 1.5 cups all natural chicken broth (if you don't have any homemade, try Rachel Ray All-Natural Chicken Stock)
- 1/2 cup full fat, organic coconut milk
- 1 cup paleo almond milk
- 1 28oz organic crushed tomatoes (unsalted)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1/3 white onion (minced)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (minced)
In a large pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add onions, saute until translucent. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring often.
Add can of crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Mix well then mix in coconut milk and paleo almond milk.
Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Stir often.
Bring heat to low and let soup simmer uncovered for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serve with Paleo Almond Bread.
We would love to hear from you and about your adventures! Fill out the form below to leave a comment.