The Oregon coast line is a popular vacation destination. Places like Cannon Beach, Seaside, and Newport are well-known amongst Pacific North-westerners who want to feel sand underneath their feet… along with every other vacationer. If solitude is what you’re looking for, a fantastic alternative to these crowded spots is Rockaway Beach.
Rockaway Beach is a small community 37 minutes south from downtown Cannon Beach and 25 minutes north of Tillamook (cheese!). The town consists primarily of residential areas and vacation properties, making most beach access areas private. Perfect for when you have a crazy family! 😉 Our vacation house sits right on the beach and we thoroughly enjoyed the seclusion!
Here are 5 reasons why we love Rockaway Beach!
1) Did we mention it wasn’t crowded?
This photo below was the most crowded we had seen it during our vacation.
2) It’s great for kite flying activities –you can run your kite all along the beach without having to dodge people. This $5 kite was a lot of fun; proof you can buy happiness. 😀
His kite was probably more than $5 but I’m sure it brought him happiness as well. 😉
3) Perfect for anti-social dogs, (like little terriers who aren’t fond of big dogs). This cute pain-in-the-butt would have been so annoying if we had brought him to Cannon Beach!
But at Rockaway Beach, he dug in the sand to his heart’s content!
4) Quiet sunsets. We enjoyed them every evening!
We enjoyed sunset frisbee until Bluto, my brother’s English Bulldog, got ahold of the frisbee and walked it all the way back to the house. 😀 Game over.
An empty beach for stargazing.
5) It’s 5 minutes north of Twin Rocks State Park, which has rock formations that look like a monster.
An almost perfect getaway at Rockaway Beach (almost perfect but not quite: we were missing husband, who won’t be joining us until later this month)!
|Rockaway Beach Overview|
| Official Travel Website
| Fees / Permit
FREE / None
| Things to Note
Most beach access is private
| Pets allowed
Yes, on lease
| Camera Info
iPhone 7 Plus, Canon 6D + Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART