As our trip winded down, we spent one of our last nights isolated on Little Island in Waterford, only accessible by ferry. Why? To stay at the Waterford Castle of course!
Waterford Castle, originally the Fitzgerald Castle, dates back to 15th century to a tower-like structure which over the years was enlarged and added to. There’s been a settlement on the site itself since the 6th century. Evidence of a monastic settlement can still be seen via the original crude carving of a monk’s head displayed over the main entrance to the castle.
To get to the Waterford Castle resort, visitors are taken over the River Suir via a small ferry that runs every 15-20 minutes. After 2 weeks of non-stop adventures, we knew we weren’t going to be taking the ferry back to the mainland. We spent the evening exploring the castle and the grounds before relaxing in the Suir Suite.
Can’t take him anywhere.
And that concludes our Scotland to Northern Ireland to Ireland road trip! We spent the next day/night in Dublin visiting pubs with a childhood friend before flying home the day after. Here is a quick recap of all of our adventures from this epic trip:
- Day 1 at Dumbarton Castle
- How to Find the Devil’s Pulpit in Scotland
- Ruthven Barracks, The “Jamesters”, & the Devil’s Prize
- Loch an Eilein Ruins, a Fairytale Castle
- Whisky Tasting at Dalwhinnie Distillery
- The Monster Lurking in Loch Ness
- Easy Directions to Whaligoe Steps
- Old Pulteney Distillery, Producer of the World’s Best Whisky
- Old Wick Castle, a Really Old Viking Ruin
- John O’ Groats, a Not So Dismal Place in Scotland
- A Poopy Walk to Keiss Castle
- Indulge Your Inner Princess at the Ackergill Tower Hotel
- The Ruins of Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, an Extremely Unlucky Castle
- Blockades & the Churchill Barriers
- Ring of Brodgar, a Really Big Stone Circle
- Skara Brae, the Heart of Neolithic Orkney
- Tomb of the Eagles
- The Unstan Cairn in Someone’s Backyard
- Hiking to the Fairy Pools
- Spar Cave, Directions & When to Explore (So You Don’t Get Trapped In)
- Old Man of Storr Trail
- Road Trip Through Beautiful Isle of Skye
- The Dark Hedges & Carrick-a-Rede-Rope Bridge
- Finding the Cushenden Sea Caves
- Dunluce Castle
- The Remains of Dunseverick Castle
- Beautiful Mussenden Temple
- When to Visit Giant’s Causeway